Latest topics
» Ember Warden (awaiting verification opinions welcome)
Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:29 pm by Ember jailer

» Iron Tyrant (Completed)
Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:24 am by Basil~

» Celeste Diamond(waiting for feedback)
Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:09 pm by josh64male

» Inkwell Leviathan vs Promethium Regalia
Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:47 pm by Miale-Sempai

» Yuuto Shimizu
Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:05 am by Nakara

» NPC fight no4
Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:22 pm by Miale-Sempai

» TAG BATTLE
Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:21 pm by Miale-Sempai

» PVP Prometeum regalia vs Vermillion grip
Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:17 pm by Miale-Sempai

» NPC fight no3
Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:15 pm by Miale-Sempai

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 Profile
 FAQ
 Search

Disscution about how to fix the imbalances in the system

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Disscution about how to fix the imbalances in the system

Post by Neko Miale on Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:13 pm

[18:22] <Tusjecht> Let's agree to have a plain discussion, then.
[18:22] <@Miale> Allright. First I want to know what you demand Gaddy
[18:23] <lightninggadget> I demand a fair system, not an unbalanced one.
[18:23] <@Miale> Then, Explain precisely what you think makes this system so unbalanced.
[18:24] <@Miale> And then, I'd like you to give out your opinion on how it could be solved.
[18:24] <lightninggadget> I have already gone over this but I will repeat it
[18:25] <lightninggadget> right now as the formulas stand, we calculate direct vs armor for non system skills (basic attacks, like punches, kicks etc)
[18:26] == Opt_ [webchat@3702296a.3d6b14e3.dynamic.jazztel.es] has joined #MialeMansion
[18:26] <lightninggadget> and we calculate overall attack vs overall defense for system skills (damage moves that consume KG or other gauges like ammo)
[18:26] * Tusjecht itches to correct the above misunderstanding.
[18:26] == Opt_ has changed nick to Bunt
[18:26] <@Miale> Do it, Tus.
[18:26] <Tusjecht> Bunting: [07:23] <lightninggadget> I have already gone over this but I will repeat it [07:24] <lightninggadget> right now as the formulas stand, we calculate direct vs armor for non system skills (basic attacks, like punches, kicks etc)
[18:27] <Tusjecht> The error is in Gadget's first sentence.
[18:27] <Tusjecht> DEF applies by default no matter what the situation is now.
[18:28] <Tusjecht> Even if you have a Bad matching, only your SDF gets reduced, so your DEF will drop by a certain amount.
[18:28] <Tusjecht> This amount is proportional to the amount of points placed in SDF.
[18:28] <lightninggadget> and Def is calculated by adding Armor and Special Defense
[18:29] <Tusjecht> Correct, so.
[18:29] <Tusjecht> I used to object against DEF being *always* the defending stat, but i have now changed the rules for you.
[18:30] <lightninggadget> no you didn't Tusjecht
[18:30] <Tusjecht> So now a high SDF can now always result in a high DEF.
[18:30] <Tusjecht> Unrelated note, don't type out my name in full, or the reply written is only visible to me.
[18:30] <@Miale> I see it
[18:30] <Tusjecht> ? M'kay then.
[18:31] <lightninggadget> all you did was just make it pointless to have two different types of attacks
[18:31] <@Miale> brb sowwy
[18:31] <Tusjecht> By which I take it to mean, that clarification you posted on my poll?
[18:31] <Tusjecht> That example was already misrepresented, I stress, not flawed.
[18:32] <lightninggadget> it still is flawed. You still add Armor and Special Defense together when they shouldn't be
[18:33] <Tusjecht> Because as I defined it, DEF is overall defense.
[18:33] <Tusjecht> Sum of both the armour density and special characteristics, if any.
[18:33] <Tusjecht> I am not twisting the logic, I am bringing it further.
[18:34] <@Miale> I'm a bit lost atm
[18:35] <lightninggadget> you are twisting the logic tusjecht you refuse to believe that your thick armor isn't immune to special attacks. It's been proven that the thickness of armor does not block electricity it just makes it stronger
[18:35] <Tusjecht> Attacking can be separated into System skills and non-sytem skills by logic.
[18:36] <Nakara> I have to agree with Tus, most skills would include armour
[18:36] <Tusjecht> But the case isn't so clear cut for defending, that why I have to design it so.
[18:37] <@Miale> So now what i get is that Gaddy is saying that in some cases the defence should be made by only SDF or AMR and it should be pointed out?
[18:37] <Tusjecht> Do you have to have a system skill to spell out "You can parry an attack by blocking it with your arm?"
[18:37] <Bunt> hmmm
[18:37] <Bunt> How about we make it
[18:37] <Bunt> so instead of defense/armor resistance it's endurance like I suggested in chatbox
[18:37] <Tusjecht> Gadget wants an FF-style system, pairing physical offense and defense, and special (usually magic) offense and defense.)
[18:37] <Bunt> and make armor phys/special resistance some sort of modifier
[18:38] <Tusjecht> I'm considering that.
[18:38] <Bunt> tbh I think Gadget's idea is nuts
[18:38] <Tusjecht> But I think both Gadget and I want this resolved first.
[18:38] <Nakara> Its not a bad idea system wide changes like that should be avoided if possible though I think
[18:38] <@Miale> Delivery is there, sorry I need to go put the stuff in place
[18:39] <Tusjecht> Continuing from where I left off.
[18:39] <lightninggadget> look I don't care if you all don't change the system what I'm saying is to leave my conduction attack alone.
[18:39] <Tusjecht> Since you don't logically need a skill to defend against attacks, then, the assumption could then be that the overall defense against all attacks takes priority.
[18:40] <Tusjecht> This is much simpler than having to figure out the different cases for magc and physical.
[18:40] <lightninggadget> then let's just have one attack stat and one defense stat
[18:40] <Tusjecht> BB replaces magic with special techniques, but it doesn't change the case much.
[18:41] <Bunt> isn't magic in BB just summon lightning or whatever
[18:41] <Bunt> and then the attack has RL properties
[18:41] <Tusjecht> And the distinction to be made here is rather, System skills and non-system skill. (I am now answering your latest propostion)
[18:42] <Tusjecht> As you yourself have pointed out, a yellow with high SKL is supposedly weak because his punching power is weak.
[18:42] <Tusjecht> Therefore, there is the *non-system skill* aspect to attacking that has to be taken into account too.
[18:43] <lightninggadget> yes but that doesn't mean thick armor, should block his special attack
[18:43] <Tusjecht> Yellow Radio is made to *not* fight physically at all, even if he appears to be able to hold his own against Black Lotus.
[18:44] <Tusjecht> Wait please, while I finish my piece.
[18:44] <Tusjecht> If one is weak physically, then the system encourages you to leverage on your system skills to fight.
[18:45] <Tusjecht> If you're strong physically, then relative to the reds and yellows, you can punch as well as they shoot or confuse.
[18:45] <Tusjecht> The difference is their attack affinity, not how well they do in the same task.
[18:46] <Tusjecht> As I've stated, special attacks/skills refer to active skills, aka KMs.
[18:46] <Tusjecht> If you're referring to lightning attacks, as you have been forawhile, then the case now is about defending.
[18:46] <Tusjecht> I need to go off, probably won't be back until lunch.
[18:47] <Tusjecht> Mia, create a thread in OOC or something
[18:47] <Tusjecht> Pls copy paste all.
[18:47] <@Miale> Ok but can i ask a question
[18:48] <@Miale> Following what i just read, wouldn't the yellow have like no damage output unless he does KMs @.@
[18:48] <lightninggadget> yep.
[18:48] <lightninggadget> and even them are weakened because of high armor
[18:48] <Nakara> Looking at Yellow Radio he doesn't have damage even WITH KMs
[18:49] <@Miale> Then how the fuck would he have gotten at lvl 9
[18:49] <Nakara> Point of yellows is to cripple the opponent then chip away at their health over time as I understand
[18:50] <Nakara> With illusions like his he could easily hit someone and run around for half an hour with illusions covering him
[18:51] <@Miale> I do get that but how would they get KG whern their str isn't even good to break stuff normally
[18:52] <Bunt> well
[18:52] <Bunt> you saw how Crow can use his wings
[18:52] <lightninggadget> because yellows may have special moves that are indirect but you'll notice that Yellow Radio had a very nice baton
[18:52] <Bunt> even in he has no KG himself
[18:52] <Bunt> also Yellow Radio has two abilities
[18:52] <Bunt> Acrobatics
[18:52] <Bunt> and Equilibrium
[18:52] <@Miale> Radio most likely got his staff from a dungeon
[18:53] <Bunt> so in a straight up battle, he can probably dodge your attacks
[18:53] == Tusjecht [webchat@1da97c9.11de379d.singnet.com.sg] has quit [Ping timeout: 363 seconds]
[18:53] <Bunt> while you charge up the terrain damage bonus for both of you
[18:53] <Bunt> alternatively
[18:53] <Bunt> just take enough damage to use your special skill
[18:53] <Bunt> it's another legit tactic Crow uses frequently
[18:55] <@Miale> while you charge up the terrain damage bonus for both of you < whut?
[18:55] <lightninggadget> ...
[18:58] <lightninggadget> Miale, I have done the math and I showed people what happens when you use one stat in two calculations of moves. That one stat becomes the key stat and everyone will want to put points in there to have the same amount of power
[18:58] <lightninggadget> for us that key stat is Armor. People with high armor will block both non-skill attacks and skill attacks
[18:59] <@Miale> Ok, Either I'm really stupid or you guys aren't clear for two cents
[19:00] <lightninggadget> Miale I will post what I mean in the out of character box. It's too big to be posted on a chat like this
[19:00] <@Miale> Go for it
[19:00] <Nakara> Special def is used for two calculations too though now
[19:01] <@Miale> But at this point, wouldn't just boosting one do the same?
[19:01] <lightninggadget> yep and that's my point
[19:01] <@Miale> Like, SDF varies for some atk and AMR doesn't
[19:01] <@Miale> But just boosting one would yeild similar results
[19:01] <lightninggadget> what I want is for Armor not to affect Skills, and Special defense not to affect direct
[19:02] <Nakara> But that ruins a lot more than it fixes
[19:02] <lightninggadget> have direct affect armor and skill affect special defense.
[19:02] <@Miale> But then, let's say the Killer move is a physical systerm move
[19:02] <Nakara> The vast majority of the time armour WOULD effect special moves
[19:02] <Nakara> Electricity is just an odd ball
[19:03] <Nakara> Personally I think that the current system should be used and exceptions made on a case by cases basis
[19:03] <lightninggadget> and I will agree to that
[19:04] <lightninggadget> but Tusjecht won't he doesn't want his high armor to count for nothing
[19:04] <lightninggadget> he's wants to be able to block everything
[19:04] <lightninggadget> that is how he designed it for his own gain
[19:04] <@Miale> I pretty much agree to special cases stuff
[19:06] <lightninggadget> I'll be just fine with my conduction move staying as is (Skill vs Special Defense)
[19:06] <Nakara> I think that would be a logical way of handling the move
[19:07] <Nakara> It simply makes the assumption that def gained by the extra armour is equal to the damage gained by increased conductivity
avatar
Neko Miale
Administrator

Posts : 255
Join date : 2013-02-02
Age : 24

Character Stats
Name: Emerald Valkyria
Level: 1
Burst Points:
100/300  (100/300)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Disscution about how to fix the imbalances in the system

Post by Destination on Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:31 am

So I've reviewed several things before making my reply: Gadget's calculations of two sets of stats for the same punch,, the chat history above, Nakara's findings on electrical resistance and current, as well as yesterday's chatbox archives.

Let me set something clear first.

This isn't only about Lightning Gadget vs Green Guardian. I am not perfect and be able to filter out every loophole in a character sheet. In this particular fight, I was paying much more attention to the stats than usual and that is where I discovered the difference in thought.

If you think this is a personal attack on Lightning Gadget, it is not. This is to set a precedent for future DAs that also use elemental attacks or the likes.

And if you go so far as to believe that I was merely bugged by the fact that I would suffer a lot of damage to Conduction, then I've got nothing to say. Believe what you believe, I am more interested in why you want to set SDF to defend only against SKL / AMR to defend against DIR.

Consider a larger issue; so what if I allow this change through? There tons of attacks that aren't physical: freezing, heating, electrical, illusion, long-range, stage trapping and so on. If the case for electricity is justified, then I also need to adjust the system for Alice Frost and her freezing attacks. I also need to account for Flame Marksman's sniping. And where does Violet Repulse's Shadow Break fall into then, being neither light nor elemental?

If I allow one special case for electricity, I have to allow for all cases for the above.

I have stated above now, the key stat (if you so call it that way) is now DEF. You can boost either AMR or SDF to increase DEF, yes. But.

  • For every case for both chromatic and metal colours, DEF is the default defending stat. You can now save yourself from a strong attack with high SDF.
  • AMR has the restriction of being inversely proportional to AGI, but SDF isn't.


Your arguments that AMR defends against system skills and non-system skills is outdated because now it isn't AMR that takes the brunt of the blow, it's now both SDF and AMR.

Now that covers defending, onto your KM, Conduction.

It is my fault from the start to not have stated clearly enough that system skills must, and without exception, using ATK as the attacking stat.

It is also my fault from the start to not have stated clearly enough after countless revisions and edits that in every situation, without exception, DEF is the defending stat. What values that go into it is a different matter that is already covered in Attacking and Defending.

So now, the question is no longer about keeping Conduction as it is. By these rules, it must change. Specifically, drop the part where you state it is Gadget's SKL vs other's SDF.

It is not because I was 'bugged' that my poor SDF cannot block your skill.

Exceptions have been made for defending now, and I will be loathe to make even more for attacking.

Alternatively, we take up Bunting's suggestions, or go the full length and redesign a new, simple system: the previous one being used.


Signature added by Tusjecht
==================================
Rebuild Thread progress: 2/5 posts completed
To do: Rulebook, possible FAQ.
Lore: Fill up the story and integrate with current system of avatars.
==================================

Stuck on how to write a character? It's not about being different, it's about being clear and concise with your understanding. Come to the Discord channel!
avatar
Destination
Moderator

Posts : 417
Join date : 2013-04-25
Age : 23
Location : Singapore

Character Stats
Name:
Level:
Burst Points:
0/0  (0/0)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Disscution about how to fix the imbalances in the system

Post by Guest on Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:30 am

Tusjecht you just don't get it do you. Forget anything about type of attacks or any thing about the attacks themselves look at the basic numbers and formulas

Whenever you add two stats together to get an overall stat. You make it pointless to have those two individual stats in the first place.

If all damage calculations are going to be comparing an overall attack stat to an overall defense stat, then it is pointless to have Direct, Armor, Skill or Special Defense.

Instead of focusing on the attacks run different numbers through your system and if you can't find the glaring unbalance like I have then there is nothing I can say or do any further.

I will refuse to accept your current stat system based on the mathematical flaw it contains and if that prevents me from playing here so be it.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Disscution about how to fix the imbalances in the system

Post by Destination on Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:49 am

Gadget wrote:Tusjecht you just don't get it do you. Forget anything about type of attacks or any thing about the attacks themselves look at the basic numbers and formulas

Whenever you add two stats together to get an overall stat. You make it pointless to have those two individual stats in the first place.
Perhaps now then, I see your real point.

With the old system which you had no complaints about, everything was a straightforward Melee/Ranged Prowess vs Defense. So a Yellow with high enough Melee Prowess can hit just as hard as a Blue with the same Melee stat.

With the new system that places an upper limit on the 'melee prowess' of Yellows, you're now complaining that a Yellow's punch no longer can be as powerful as it could have been under the new system.

Is this your point?

Gadget wrote:If all damage calculations are going to be comparing an overall attack stat to an overall defense stat, then it is pointless to have Direct, Armor, Skill or Special Defense.

Instead of focusing on the attacks run different numbers through your system and if you can't find the glaring unbalance like I have then there is nothing I can say or do any further.
Then, that's exactly what I'll do, as you say.

Player one: Klein Apprentice. Pure direct attacking type, armed with a wooden sword.
  • DIR: 50 | AMR: 30 || STR = 80
  • SKL: 10 | SDF: 10 || TAC = 20
    ATK = 60, DEF = 40.

    -Normal Move: slash with his sword. Affinity: blunt impact.
    -Special Move / KM: Heaven Earth Break, cost 30%, boost in attack power (ATK) by 1.5x. Affinity: blunt impact.


Player two: Lemon Persona. Pure Indirect technique type, armed with a wand made of an unknown material.
  • DIR :10 | AMR: 10 || STR = 20
  • SKL: 50 | SDF: 30 || TAC = 80
    ATK = 60, DEF = 40.

    -Normal Move:  Stun, touch opponent with the tip of the wand, reduce AGI by half for 5 seconds. Affinity: energy.
    -Special Move / KM: Personalise Blue, cost 30%. Debuff opponent's AMR and DIR by half for 2 mins, deals damage over same period, effect does not stack. Affinity: energy.


So, almost like your example sheets so far, though I note that you arranged the stats in an all-or-nothing type, leaving zero in your other stat. Demonstrating is one thing, taking an extreme is another...

Gadget wrote:Look he has the same overall attack power and overall defense but if he tries to do a physical attack (punch, kick) he can't deal any damage because it's direct vs armor.
As stated already, it's not DIR vs AMR, it's *always* ATK vs DEF now.

Gadget wrote:So how come a guy with no special can deal a special type of attack but someone without physical can't even punch a guy. They have the same overall attack and defense but the physical player has more moves at his disposal that have the same amount of power he can punch and kick (uses direct) and shoot an energy burst. (uses overall attack which is special plus direct)

So a physical fighter has both physical and special moves at his disposal while a specialist is limited to just special moves, and if that doesn't make the specialist upset, he'll even be more pissed when even his special moves do nothing because the physical player can withstand against even his special moves because of his physical armor
Let me explain why your example is flawed: at Level 1, a melee specialist is exactly that; pure melee moves, no 'energy' moves available. Your example of him having 'an energy burst' attack at Level 1 is completely off the mark.

So then, you proceeded to compare the damage dealt, pairing DIR and AMR, SKL and SDF.

I think I realise another assumption you make.

'Special' attacks include Electrical, Acid, Light, Water, Ice, Fire, and other attacks of the likes.

'Normal' attacks are punching, kicking, shooting guns, whips, etc.

This is a fundamental error I can't avoid correcting:
  • Normal moves are passive skills, either attacking the opponent or applying effects elsewhere. They may not consume KG, and when they do, it is 'consume over time' style.

  • Special Moves are active skills, and without exception deal an effect to the opponent, not necessarily dealing damage. (Demonic Commandeer, 100% gauge and no direct damage to Crow). They consume KG in one shot.


So now I will compare Apprentice and Persona's skills, applying the new exceptions for defending as stated here in Attacking And Defending.

So now, Apprentice now executes his moves.
    =====
  • Normal Move:
    Apprentice's ATK (B) vs Persona's DEF (C). Persona recieves 15%, because Matching for Persona is assumed to be a Mismatch.
  • Special Move:
    Apprentice's ATK (B) vs Persona's DEF (C). Persona receives 20% damage, because HEB multiplies his ATK by 1.5 -> ATK is now 90 points, B+ rank. Same Mismatch as above.
    =====


Persona now executes both her moves.
    =====
  • Normal Move:
    Persona's ATK (B) vs Apprentices's DEF (C). Apprentice receives 15%, he is stunned for 10s. Matching for Apprentice is a Mismatch (energy vs Blunt): his SDF is unchanged.
  • Special Move:
    Persona's ATK (B) vs Apprentice's DEF (C). Apprentice receives 15% damage, his STR is halved for 12 self-posts. Matching for Apprentice is Mismatch (Energy vs Blunt): his SDF is unchanged.




So that's for my rules. Let's play by yours, if you insist.

Apprentice:
Normal Move: (Direct to Armor) B rank to D rank: 20%
Special Move: (Skill to Special Defense) D rank to C rank: 5%

Persona:
Normal Move: (Direct to Armor) D rank to C rank : 5%
Special Move: (Skill to Special Defense) B rank to D rank: 20%.

I have practically copied and pasted your attacking formula from the poll thread.

Analysing both sides, while it seems by numbers that Apprentice trumps Persona for comparing KMs, three things must be taken into account:


    One: Persona has also stunned Apprentice, or halved his AMR and DIR. In both cases, Apprentice is on the losing end, because either he moves slower / can't move at all for a self-post, even if he takes just 15% from the KM, he has to contend with 12 self-posts of reduced strength and armour protection. If Persona has a tag-battle partner, things can get nasty.

    Two: Because Persona has only 10 points in AMR, she can afford to put more points into AGI, allowing her to dance beyond the reach of Apprentice's wooden sword. Effectively, she has the numbers backing her dodging of attacks.

    Three: a 5% margin between KMs is not a lot. 5% is easily lost or gained with simple whacks and blows.


Gadget wrote:Do the math, Tusjecht, DO THE MATH.
I did the mathematics, both my system and yours. That's all...

Edit: Erroneously paired Appren's SKL with Persona's SKL, Persona's SKL with Appren's SKL. The errror has now been corrected such that Appren's SKL -> Persona's SDF and Persona's SKL -> Appren's SDF.


Signature added by Tusjecht
==================================
Rebuild Thread progress: 2/5 posts completed
To do: Rulebook, possible FAQ.
Lore: Fill up the story and integrate with current system of avatars.
==================================

Stuck on how to write a character? It's not about being different, it's about being clear and concise with your understanding. Come to the Discord channel!
avatar
Destination
Moderator

Posts : 417
Join date : 2013-04-25
Age : 23
Location : Singapore

Character Stats
Name:
Level:
Burst Points:
0/0  (0/0)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Disscution about how to fix the imbalances in the system

Post by Destination on Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:26 pm

Y'know, let's take a closer look at your system, Gadget.

Apprentice:
Normal Move: (Direct to Armor) B rank to D rank: 20%
Special Move: (Skill to Special Defense) D rank to C rank: 5%

Persona:
Normal Move: (Direct to Armor) D rank to C rank : 5%
Special Move: (Skill to Special Defense) B rank to D rank: 20%.

This system favours close-range types using their normal moves, and favours ranged & indirect types to use their KMs, because if you can't get past the AMR of Blues and Greens, whack their special defense then.

In other words, the KMs of Blues and Greens are next to useless against Yellows if they have SDF any higher than B rank. Likewise, the normal moves of Yellows and Reds are useless against B-rank and above AMR...

...is what I'd like to say, but:
Tusjecht wrote:Normal Move: Stun, touch opponent with the tip of the wand, reduce AGI by half for 5 seconds. Affinity: energy
The thing that isn't reflected in your stats system is the above. So what if a Yellow's normal moves deal a pittance in damage; they can stack nasty special effects on that hard numbers don't reflect.

Blues and Greens can whack all their normal moves for little to no cost, but if they can't get close to the agile, skilled Yellows, then that is the balance.


Signature added by Tusjecht
==================================
Rebuild Thread progress: 2/5 posts completed
To do: Rulebook, possible FAQ.
Lore: Fill up the story and integrate with current system of avatars.
==================================

Stuck on how to write a character? It's not about being different, it's about being clear and concise with your understanding. Come to the Discord channel!
avatar
Destination
Moderator

Posts : 417
Join date : 2013-04-25
Age : 23
Location : Singapore

Character Stats
Name:
Level:
Burst Points:
0/0  (0/0)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Disscution about how to fix the imbalances in the system

Post by Guest on Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:44 pm

Your System (1 Normal attack, 1 Special attack)

Total Damage output for Klein = 35%
Total Damage output for Persona = 25%

My System (1 Normal attack, 1 Special attack)

Total Damage output for Klein = 25%
Total Damage output for Persona = 25%


hmm... I see a slight unbalance on your system while my system is balanced. Now how about we do different numbers and maybe this time we'll focus on the stat that breaks everything, Defense

Take a look at your Green Guardian.

STR: 130 (A)

DIR: 30 (C)
AMR: 100 (A)


TAC: 40 (C)

SKL: 30 (C)
SPD: 10 (D)


AGI: 20 (D)

KG: 10(D)
==========
ATK: 60 (B)
DEF: 110 (A)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

hmm... decent strength awesome armor looks like he's a guy who can take a punch and deal one back but wait let's look at his moves

Enhanced Armament:

Name: Cross Shield

Description: A large cross-shaped shield that protects the user from any direct damage.

Weakness: Indirect damage, such as illusions are not blocked.
____________________

Normal Move

Name: Arm Lock

Cost: 0 (Passive Skill, Normal Activation)

Description: A system/designated motion for Green Guardian. Apart from locking an arm behind their back, it doesn't appear to do much...

Effect: The opponent's arm is locked in place by Guardian's fist. Escape is only possible if the opponent's AGI ranks equal or higher than Guardian's STR. It takes one post by the opponent to escape.

Weaknesses: Stay out of arm's reach, and you'll be fine, of course.

Killer Move


Name: Discharge

Cost: 50% (Active skill)

Description: Guardian's body is temporarily glows green for a moment, and releases an energy wave in all directions. The wave is non-physical, pure energy, and thus quickly dissipates beyond a boundary 3 metres wide around Guardian.

Effect: The opponent is damaged. "Blast back" is not possible.

Weaknesses: Requires one post to charge. Beyond 3 metres away from Guardian, the damage received by the opponent is zero.

~~~~~~~

hmm... he has a special energy surge attack that goes 3 meters or nine feet in all directions that's quite far considering Green's are supposed to be close range direct. That surge to me sounds like he has something to be able to keep people back

Now's let's do the math on your character and let's compare him to someone who has a mirror image of your stats say a light armored female called Pearl Blow, Pearl is a very pale red color almost a pinkish white color and Blow is her main move creating a blast of wind through the move Aeroblast

STR: 40 (C)

DIR: 30 (C)
AMR: 10 (D)


TAC: 130 (A)

SKL: 30 (D)
SPD: 100 (A)


AGI: 20 (C)
KG: 10 (F)
==========
ATK: 60 (B)
DEF: 110 (A)


Pearl attacks are straight forward damaging attacks nothing special. A non system attack and a special attack called Aeroblast that send out a concentrated cyclone of air to damage opponents


Okay let's do the math. Each players get one normal attack and one special attack.

Blow kicks Guardian from above using a non system assisted move

C ranked attack to A ranked defense = 5 damage

Guardian counters by crushing Pearl in his Iron Grip

C ranked attack to A ranked defense = 5 damage

Pearl uses Aeroblast

B ranked attack to A ranked defense = 5 damage

Guardian uses his Discharge

B ranked attack to A ranked defense = 5 damage


Total damage output

Guardian: 10%
Blow: 10%

Not to impressive unless you want to be impressed that low damage outputs/ damage taken are the way to go in fights. Blow will most likely just deal the first hit and then walk away hoping that Guardian can't recover in time to attack her back. The damage rating to KG charge for both of them is worthless

Now let's look at my system and see what happens same attacks, same stats different formulas

Blow Kicks using a physical move

C to A = 5% damage

Guardian crushes with Iron Grip also a physical move.

C to D = 15% damage

Blow uses Aeroblast

C to D = 15% damage

Guardian counters with Discharge

C to A = 5% damage

Total Damage Output

Blow = 20% damage
Guardian = 20% damage

A little more damage delivered to each other but still equal damage output. Blow now has a reason to try and stick around and try and beat the big ape Guardian because her special attacks deal more damage but wait hold up special attack usually require killer gauge to be executed there's no point in using her special attacks if she can't get them charged up. Guardian has the bigger advantage he doesn't need KG to use his direct moves

But now let's look at Lightning Gadget who has low melee and armor (D), has good ranked skill (B+) that would deal damage to most normal armored people and his special defense is okay (C). His speed is okay nothing too special (C) but his KG charge is also good (B) which means he can use his special attacks more often then Guardian or Blow but let's pit him against Green Guardian then Pearl Blow

Normal attack

Gadget uses a non system kick move against both Guardian then Blow

Guardian: D to A = 0% damage
Blow: D to A = 0% damage

Guardian uses his Iron Grip

C to C = 10% damage

Blow uses a kick against Gadget

C to D = 10% damage

Ouch… it’s clear these defensive types have some power behind their blows. To a low defense guy like Gadget, these two can clearly deal more damage then him on their melee blows but let’s see if his special power is worth anything. 25% Special Move Conduction!

Guardian: B+ to A = 5 damage

Blow: B+ to A = 5 damage

*Jaw Drop* WTH?! 5 damage output total against both?! Are you kidding me. You mean to tell me these defensive types can blocks not only Gadget’s Melee attacks but his special attacks as well?! What the hell is the guy supposed to do against that? His special is above average, surely he can do more then that.

Now let’s see what Guardian and Blow can do to Gadget using their special moves

Guardian: B to C = 15%

Blow: B to C = 15%

Total Damage output

Guardian: 25%
Blow: 25%
Gadget: 5%

One attack, and one special attack and the two defense types can deal 5 times the amount of damage to Gadget if that isn’t unbalance I don’t know what is.

Now if we change the formulas to my system


Physical attacks

Guardian to Gadget: C to D = 15%
Blow to Gadget: C to D = 15%

Gadget to Guardian: D to A = 0%
Gadget to Blow: D to D = 10%

Special attacks

Guardian to Gadget: C to C = 10%
Blow to Gadget: C to C = 10%

Gadget to Guardian: B+ to D = 40 %
Gadget to Blow: B+ to A = 5%

Total Damage Output

Guardian to Gadget: 25%
Blow to Gadget: 25%

Gadget to Guardian: 40%
Gadget to Blow: 15%

Hmm there’s some minor relief. Gadget can deal 40% damage to Guardian through his conduction attack because his special attack is not affected by Guardians physical armor. Blow on the other hand can reduce the amount of damage Gadget deals because she’s built for special defense but not physical defense and she only takes 5% damage from his conduction. So it would be easier for Gadget to use punches and kicks to deal damage to Blow but he has watch out for counters from Blow because her kicks hurt as well.


Oh and by the way Tusjecht, Persona’s attacks are overpowered at level 1 I can believe a slight reduction at level 1 (like maybe one grade never half a stat) and also stunning can be easily avoided if you don’t touch the wand. So don’t say abilities can make up for the balance because when you have high defense it doesn’t matter. If you can’t deal damage then there’s no point in fighting.

My advice to everyone who follows Tusjecht’s system make your characters main stats are either Armor or Special Defense, not attack, special, speed, or KG. If you don’t you’re just going to get your tail kicked by the defense players because this system favors defense players which happens to be Green colored avatars so get on your hands and knees and pray that you make a trauma with a green type reaction, which is a prayer type reaction.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Disscution about how to fix the imbalances in the system

Post by Zagrin on Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:52 am

Affinities, kids, that's how the world works: You can't stand an equal chance against everybody, and so sometimes some people have barely a chance of winning when matched against certain other people. In this case, Gadget against high defense dudes, perhaps there's other, but none seem to mind too much to argue on a system change about it, cause they realize they won't stand an equal chance against every type of stat make up on the site, and let's not go into the various killer moves/abilities and the like that can also play into affinities! So in closing, stop beating a dead horse already!

I will say that their should perhaps be a minimum damage of 1% for NORMAL moves, not system moves or w/e you call them now, y'know, just a punch or kick.
avatar
Zagrin
Veteran

Posts : 111
Join date : 2012-08-19
Location : Wherever White Cosmos is

Character Stats
Name: Teal Hero
Level: 1
Burst Points:
150/300  (150/300)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Disscution about how to fix the imbalances in the system

Post by Royal Duke on Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:28 am

Zagrin you are the best.
avatar
Royal Duke
Mechanic

Posts : 257
Join date : 2013-03-17

Character Stats
Name: Royal Duke
Level: 1
Burst Points:
150/300  (150/300)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Disscution about how to fix the imbalances in the system

Post by Destination on Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:39 am

As much as Zagrin can make up stuff, he is not wrong.

Blues beat up Reds at close range. Reds can carpet bomb their way through the illusions of Yellows (refer to Scarlet Rain versus Crypt Cosmic Circus...all of five seconds and easily a quarter of his legion was killed with a single hit). And Yellows, as Lucky Lunatic vs Diamond Dash have demonstrated, can lead Blues by the nose into the traps they set up.

The reverse is also true: At long ranges, Reds can camp and snipe Blues. Blues beat the weakly armoured Yellows to a pulp. And Yellows confuse Reds until they don't know who to shoot at.

The pure affinities, therefore, display a rock-paper-scissors relationship that can even be reversed depending on the situation; and because it can change, then that could possibly not be called 'balanced.'

And while characters can be balanced, whether they're balanced when compared to other characters is a completely different issue altogether. Sometimes the stage favours those who lay traps and illusions. Sometimes the mooks get their break in the Ocean Stage and swim freely when others drown (Coral Merrow and Lagoon Dolphin). Still more avatars use their special skills, or pair up with a player holding a complementary skill to form an army of two (Frost Horn and Tourmaline Shell).

Brain Burst is fair when it gives you your avatar, but no one said it would remain that way when you actually head out to fight. Even if you know everything about yourself, its just half the battle won.

That said, I wonder exactly how much of this will be acknowledged anyway. Even if there is a small hope...then, I'll leave my thoughts here.

八字不合 is quote of the day again...


Signature added by Tusjecht
==================================
Rebuild Thread progress: 2/5 posts completed
To do: Rulebook, possible FAQ.
Lore: Fill up the story and integrate with current system of avatars.
==================================

Stuck on how to write a character? It's not about being different, it's about being clear and concise with your understanding. Come to the Discord channel!
avatar
Destination
Moderator

Posts : 417
Join date : 2013-04-25
Age : 23
Location : Singapore

Character Stats
Name:
Level:
Burst Points:
0/0  (0/0)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Disscution about how to fix the imbalances in the system

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum